Sockeye with Cous Cous and a Salad
Sockeye with Cous Cous and a Salad in 15 min. (Ok, plus the time it takes to heat up your BBQ or oven!). Recipe courtesy of Bruce B.
Ingredients For the Salmon:
– A couple of salmon steaks-sockeye in this case 1 inch thick
– Juice of 1/2 lemon A little olive oil – 1 tbs.
– Lemon Pepper
– Italian Seasoning Salt
Ingredients For the Cous Cous:
– 1/2 cup of cous cous 3/4 cup of chicken stock 1 clove crushed garlic.
– Any spices you like. To complement the fish I am using similar spices; Italian seasoning, Lemon Pepper, Salt & Fennel 1/4 cup raisins (any type) 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts. (you can use pistachio or sunflower seeds, anything you like that to give it a crunch)
– A little more olive oil – 1 tbs.
– Juice from the other half of the lemon and lemon zest.
1. Turn on your BBQ or your oven set to 400 degrees.
2. Season the salmon on both sides with a little salt, dill, lemon pepper, Italian seasoning, a squeeze of lemon juice. Put the salmon in a tinfoil baking pan, with a little oil and lemon juice in the bottom of the pan, cover with tin foil and set aside until the BBQ or oven gets up to temp.
3. Put a pot on the stove, add the 3/4 cup of stock, the spices you selected and the raisins; (without the cous cous) cover and turn to high.
4. Relax, make your salad, whatever you like; I go for a Greek Salad with this dish.
5. Now your BBQ is up to temp and your water is boiling. Turn the heat off on one side of your BBQ and put the covered salmon on that side to cook with indirect heat, set your timer for 12 minutes.
6. Take the pot off the heat when it boils, add the cous cous and cover again with the lid.
7. After 10 minutes take the lid off the cous cous, add the nuts, lemon zest, your lemon juice and a1 tbs. of olive oil. Stir with a fork to fluff it up and cover again.
8. Ok, now it’s been 12 minutes; uncover your salmon and check to see that it flakes easily with a fork; if it does, it’s done and not over cooked. That’s it! A great tasting Salmon dinner in just 15 minutes!